Pages Menu
Categories Menu

GreenBy3 Internships

One of GreenBy3’s main objectives is to educate —our clients, our employees and the general public—about alternative ways to do just about everything. Because we love sharing our ideas and take every chance we have to learn, interns have always been a natural fit for GreenBy3. We view it as a professional development opportunity for the interns and a chance for all of us to learn from each other.

In keeping with GreenBy3 tradition, we try to do things differently and internships are no exception. Because we take on a broad range of responsibilities for our clients, we are able to let students participate in the projects they find most interesting or even develop projects of their own. As GreenBy3 founder, Jorge Riano puts it, “we take their love and passion for something and find a way to apply it to our business.” In addition to technical skills, Jorge explains, “we teach soft skills, community involvement and environmental awareness.” Interns can focus on one project or dabble in everything. From project management to sustainable design, no two internships are alike.

Interested in interning for GreenBy3? Scroll to the bottom and let us know!

Our 2015 interns

Lauren Orchard

laurenLauren joined our team this January to fulfill an accredited internship for her Historic Preservation major at the College of Charleston. She demonstrated interests in sustainability, design, and project management and during her time here, she was able to contribute and gain experience in all of those areas.

Among the highlights of Lauren’s time with us: she designed, built and populated our office’s aquaponics system; she also helped us with material reclamation projects, assisted at our Permaculture site in Mt. Pleasant, designed and painted the “GreenBy3” sign to hang in our lobby and even built her own solar panel.

11267760_1063962843633479_5145192328838762003_n

Lauren often attended networking events with us and was a tremendous advocate for our business. She is a self-starting type, so she was confident initiating her own projects, but she was always eager to lend a hand whenever she could.

It has been an amazing 5 months…[GreenBy3] has been so helpful in aiding me with my projects and including me whenever possible. I can’t thank them enough for their time, space, positive energy and encouragement.

After graduating from The College in May, Lauren moved to Asheville, North Carolina to pursue an internship in sustainable agriculture at Highgate Farm.

Our 2014 interns

Maggie Snoke

IMG_0361Maggie started as a GreenBy3 intern in the summer of 2012. Jorge met Maggie  while she was pursuing a degree in fine arts at UNC Asheville. While enrolled at UNC, Maggie worked at our second location in Hendersonville, NC, where she met with students and attended community events on behalf of GreenBy3 to help establish a network of relationships and resources in the western North Carolina region. She participated in a radio interview with GreenBy3 founder Jorge Riano for Our Southern Community’s radio show.

This summer, Maggie moved to Charleston. Because she is a talented artist, she was tasked with turning our Charleston office/warehouse into a space that is welcoming and that inspires creativity. She did not disappoint. Two murals and a series of employee portraits now adorn our walls, thanks to Maggie.DSC_0046

Maggie also contributed substantially to our client projects: producing renderings of designs used in proposals, lending a hand in custom-furniture building and helping out with internal projects, like the Tiny Office and the Permaculture Experiment Site.

“The most significant thing I got out of the internship was a broader way of thinking. Seeing how GreenBy3 creatively uses resources and connects the dots really opened my mind to a whole expanse of possibilities. Not only this, but I also learned the importance of strong communication skills…” -Maggie

Maggie finished up her internship in August but has decided to stay in Charleston. She works full-time at Artist and Craftsman Supply and teaches private drawing lessons while she explores her options for the future and gets to meet some of her favorite Charleston artists.

John Key Powell

IMG_0624

John Key was with us for the summer to fulfill an internship requirement for the Historic Preservation program at the College of Charleston, where he is a senior. When his internship first started, he was most interested in our Permaculture Experiment Site. A gardener himself, John Key wanted to learn more about the principles of permaculture and helped with design of the site and implementation of our plans.

As the summer continued, John Key played an increasingly important role in our client projects, especially the Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce Catalyst Center. He was instrumental in the building and installation of the community table and the cloud  ceilings at the Catalyst Center.

My experience with Greenby3 allowed me to apply what I learned in the classroom as an Historic Preservation major to actual client funded projects. They were great about teaching me as an employee rather than treating me like an intern, and were always more than happy to include me in their top priority projects. They made me excited about the field I have chosen and I hope to work with them more in the future.

IMG_0219

Currently, John Key is finishing up his degree at the College of Charleston. Though his internship is complete, he still dedicates time to the Permaculture Experiment Site.

Interested in interning for GreenBy3? Fill out the contact form, give us a call or stop by our office at 708 King St.

[contact-form][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]